I've tried making gingerbread houses before and as much fun as they are to bake and put together, mine always end up looking VERY messy. So this year inspired by Red Ted Art and her Mini Christmas Houses, I made some small ones.
75g brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon treacle
225g plain flour
half a tea spoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon Steenbergs Mixed Spice
Icing sugar, silver balls, sweets
- Place the sugar, syrup, treacle, butter, ginger and mixed spice into a pan and heat till melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sifted flout and bicarbonate of soda, until you have a nice smooth dough.
- Cover and leave for half an hour.
- Roll the dough and use cookie cutters to get small rectangles.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cool make some nice thick icing using icing sugar and water.
- Use the icing to make triangle shapes with your gingerbread rectangles.